Sunday, December 11, 2011

Joyce Quotes

  • "A man's errors are his portals of discovery."
    - James Joyce
  • "Better pass boldly into that other world, in the full glory of some passion, than fade and wither dismally with age."
    - James Joyce
  • "Christopher Columbus, as everyone knows, is honored by posterity because he was the last to discover America."
    - James Joyce
  • "'History,' Stephen said, 'is a nightmare from which I am trying to awake."
    - James Joyce
  • "I am tomorrow, or some future day, what I establish today. I am today what I established yesterday or some previous day."
    - James Joyce

  • "I've put in so many enigmas and puzzles that it will keep the professors busy for centuries arguing over what I meant, and that's the only way of insuring one's immortality."
    - James Joyce
  • "Love (understood as the desire of good for another) is in fact so unnatural a phenomenon that it can scarcely repeat itself, the soul being unable to become virgin again and not having energy enough to cast itself out again into the ocean of another's soul."
    - James Joyce
  • "Mistakes are the portals of discovery."
    - James Joyce
  • "Men are governed by lines of intellect - women: by curves of emotion."
    - James Joyce
  • "My words in her mind: cold polished stones sinking through a quagmire." - James Joyce
  • "Poetry, even when apparently most fantastic, is always a revolt against artifice, a revolt, in a sense, against actuality."
    - James Joyce
  • "Saying that a great genius is mad, while at the same time recognizing his artistic worth, is like saying that he had rheumatism or suffered from diabetes. Madness, in fact, is a medical term that can claim no more notice from the objective critic than he grants the charge of heresy raised by the theologian, or the charge of immorality raised by the police."
    - James Joyce
  • "Shakespeare is the happy hunting ground of all minds that have lost their balance."
    - James Joyce
  • "The artist, like the God of the creation, remains within or behind or beyond or above his handiwork, invisible, refined out of existence, indifferent, paring his fingernails."
    - James Joyce
  • "The demand that I make of my reader is that he should devote his whole Life to reading my works."
    - James Joyce
  • "Welcome, O life! I go to encounter for the millionth time the reality of experience and to forge in the smithy of my soul the uncreated conscience of my race."
    - James Joyce
  • "When I die Dublin will be written in my heart."
    - James Joyce
  • "When the Irishman is found outside of Ireland in another environment, he very often becomes a respected man. The economic and intellectual conditions that prevail in his own country do not permit the development of individuality. No one who has any self-respect stays in Ireland, but flees afar as though from a country that has undergone the visitation of an angered Jove."
    - James Joyce
  • "Writing in English is the most ingenious torture ever devised for sins committed in previous lives. The English reading public explains the reason why."
    - James Joyce
  • "Your battles inspired me - not the obvious material battles but those that were fought and won behind your forehead."
    - James Joyce

No comments:

Post a Comment