Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Ad-Orpheus

I was looking at the subway platform posters two days ago thinking about marketing in relationship to my work.  To what degree can I learn from the excitement of entertainment?  To what degree could one promote Kafka in an ad?  ‘Something’s Off!’  I thought about replacing each of the posters with images of my latest piece, Monologues for Orpheus, using the current catchphrases.  The Whitney poster for Yayoi Kusama, a giant photo of her, personality cult, artist persona.  What if that was me up there, presented to my neighbors, without the veil of distance and institution.  It would be much braver to flaunt in a small pond.  Maybe they would see me buying groceries, who is that?  Person or giant?  Average or exceptional?  Material or ideal?  Personality devotion.  Who worships?  Do we admire her products, inclusive environments, insanity.  How about her report, expansion of image via advertising, momentous in thanks to institution, audience, acclaim.  When do we stop asking if something is or is not art, when the poster tells us that the people agree?  It usually is a good clue, utopia of art.   So I should post a giant photo of myself as Orpheus in the center of the work, environmental.  ‘May the best loser win’ was one poster slogan, another,  ‘Did you feel it?’.  Can one liners draw us towards complicated subjects?  I think Orpheus is a rock star who says ‘don’t look back’.

No comments:

Post a Comment