Tuesday, May 27, 2014

de trop

http://www.dhspriory.org/kenny/PhilTexts/Sartre/BeingAndNothingness.pdf

This passage is echoed in Being and Nothingness where Sartre uses almost
the same words to describe Being-in-itself.
"Being-in-itself is never either possible or impossible. It is. This
is what consciousness expresses in anthropomorphic terms by
saying that being is de trop-that is, that consciousness abso­
lutely can not derive being from anything, either from another
being, or from a possibility, or from a necessary law. Uncreated,
without reason for being, without any connection with another
being, being-in-itself is de trop for eternity." (p. lxviii)
pe this original contingency, this "obscene superfluity." 
"We were a heap of living creatures, irritated, embarrassed 
at ourselves, we hadn't the slightest reason to be there, none of 
us; each one, confused, vaguely alarmed, felt de trop in relation 
to the others. De trop: it was the only relationship I could estab­
lish between these trees, these gates, these stones. In vain I 
tried to count the chestnut trees, to locate them by their rela­
tionship to the Velleda, to compare their height with the height 
of the plane trees: each of them escaped the relationship in 
which I tried to enclose it, isolated itself and overflowed..•• 
And I-soft, weak, obscene, digesting, juggling with dismal 
thoughts-I, too, was de trop.... Even my death would have 
been de trop. De tlOp, my corpse, my blood on these stones, be­
tween these plants, at the back of the smiling garden. And the 
decomposed flesh would have been de trop in the earth which 
would receive my bones, at last; cleaned, stripped, peeled, 
proper and clean as teeth, it would have been de tlOP: I was 
de trop for eternity." (pp. 17'2.-173)

No comments:

Post a Comment