Tuesday, August 19, 2014

on beauty and beholding



Making a DVD cover for Remember this Film Forever, I made a mistake and came out with a really beautiful sticker for the DVD but the white exterior of the sticker was showing on an edge and the girl jumping in the pool was just a shadow.  It reminded me of the Yo La Tengo album ‘And then Nothing Turned itself Inside-Out’, it was all architecture and mood and blue.  It was a mischance, a one-of, but it didn’t work and I needed the DVD.  When I ripped it off to put on a sticker that accomplished the illusion of the perfect DVD, I fucked it up so bad that I destroyed the use of the DVD.  I think it was so perfect and beautiful that I was so sad that I couldn’t own it.  This reminded me of celebrity, when something is so beautiful and yet restricted, maybe this is why we have to be such assholes to the movie stars, because we really are attached aesthetically but then the toy is taken away, we attach so quickly.  If you think you have something for even a second we take hold and wrap ourselves around the object, similarly to the way that we can drive by wrapping the mind around the body of the car, in the same way we ingest the materials that we think that we own.  This can be applied to love and heartache too.

No comments:

Post a Comment